Categories : Main course
- 4–6 servings
- 1 kg (21/4 lb) Baltic herring file-coarse
- rye flour
- white pepper
- 350 g (12 oz) sugar
- 300 ml (11/2 cup) distilled white vinegar (12% alcohol)
- 600 ml (3 cups) water
- 2 tbs whole allspice
- 2–4 bay leaves
- 2 red onions
The recipe :
- Heat your plancha grill.
- Place the Baltic herring filets skin side down on a cutting board or similar surface.
- Salt them and give them a few turns from the white pepper mill, then put together the filets in pairs.
- Roll the filets in coarse rye flour and grill them on your plancha in butter until golden brown on both sides.
- Eat them right away with potatoes and vegetables of your choice.